Even though Carrick and the croft will soon be advertised for sale, maintenance and repairs continue as usual.
Last year I replaced the fencing on the east side of Carrick. Now, I’m replacing the fences (and gates) on the west side.
The work starts with the gate into the Steading, then then a short length of fence. (These aren’t shown in these photos.)
I’m also realigning the fence so that it follows the croft field access more closely, as the existing fence was installed (not by me!) incorrectly. That’ll mean the vegetation will extend down the slope more ; and that’ll provide more cover for wildlife.
There’ll be a new additional gate across the field access where the blacktop ends : you can see I’ve got one gate post in already.
In the first photo I’ve installed one of the new square wooden posts for the gate into Carrick, and some of the wooden posts along the new alignment. The last post (and two before it) have to be galvanized steel, because bedrock is very close to the surface. On one of these, the bedrock is too deep for a steel post, but far too shallow for a wooden post. The solution in this case is to dig a hole 60cm square down to firm level ground, and insert a stack of three paving flags, each 5cm thick. I’ll drill through these, squeeze resin into the hole, and then install the ‘spigot’ of the steel post. This is more expensive, but neater and much quicker, than mixing pouring fresh-made concrete. The very last post goes between the old round wooden straining post and the square wooden gate post (the access into Field 1) The hole I’ve dug – at the bottom of the photo – is to drill and resin an anchor and wire that will restrain the steel post.